hello, vigilante clinic escort! I finally have a Saturday morning free and plan to try really super hard to make it to Choices at 7 tomorrow. Do you know if you'll be there? I'm nervous as heck but I suppose that's natural.
I actually won’t be there tomorrow (sad face) - I’m in Seattle right now (gaaaaaaaaah). But lots of awesome people will be there (hopefully)! (we’ve had really good turnout the past few weeks, so you’ll have lots of other escorts around)
Good luck, and I’ll be with you in spirit! Tell me how it goes!
OH! @hahanothanks will be there (I don’t know how to tag people), and she’s awesome, and can answer all kinds of questions. You might recognize her by her brown hair, pixie cut and glasses.
Hi oh thank you for your words of encouragement and connection! If I see someone laughing while saying no thanks to something, I’ll know just who it is.
Dumb question but do you know if there’s a reasonably safe place to leave bags? It would be a shame not to bring my textbooks along for the train ride, but they are probably too bulky to carry all morning.
I made it! I was roughly on time! It was AWESOME. Lovely people, feminism in practice, the protestors were not scary or intimidating as I expected, but instead crackpot meanies. Zzzzzzz. Thank you, four years in New York City, I am now immune to all assholes shouting nonsense.
(Obviously I might feel different if I was going in for a stressful medical procedure, which is of course the point.)
Two more notes:
1. When I googled “what to wear to be a clinic escort” last night, I read a story about a knee-length skirt on a non-Tumblr blog… that apparently happened to @hahanothanks and @feministbatwoman???! The Internet is a strange small giant place.
2. The most hilarious-to-me argument made by anti-abortion protestors today involved a woman shouting at a row of us escorts, “I’ve never seen a pregnant escort! In all my years! Never! Why not?” This is not atypical of the level of discourse (actually far more polite and secular than most), but, just, like.
Possible reasons you’ve never seen a pregnant escort:
1. Because you can’t tell who’s pregnant for the first three months or more; and then
2. Because almost no visibly pregnant people are interested in standing outside for three hours; or
3. Because they got a fucking abortion.
(The volunteers have a no-engagement policy, so I tried to be a beatifically-smiling Buckingham-Palace-soldier-no-breaking type, but oh my god sometimes you just lose it and start giggling. The protestors hate that. It’s a fascinating culture that needs to be ethnographied, stat.)
If you feel called to be a stable, calm, non-engaging presence in Jamaica on Saturday mornings, you should come! All gender presentations welcome; one of the most experienced escorts there was a large man who was great at being a wall. My goal is to go as often as I can and/or at least once a month, as my schedule may (ok, will) get more difficult when classes and research commitments start up again.